Success Story IP#12
There is a regular saying in the Axon office, “The tail doesn’t wag the dog!”
For us that means that your ADF entitlements (HPAS and DHOAS) aren’t the strategy drivers, rather they are just a supporting element that need to be synchronised to deliver the maximum effect.
Take the subject of today’s success story as an example… at the time of introduction to Axon he was a 25yo Telecommunications Technician based in SE-QLD.
He’d been saving very diligently (supported by deployments) for a few years now and was in a very strong position to get started buying his own home. Given his location, he was a perfect example of how to use some of his entitlements to best effect.
– Purchase price: $554,000 (Secured July 2020)
– Deposit contributed: 20% deposit (~$110K) + stamp duty ($2.8K) + loan establishment fee ($500) + solicitor fees ($2,000) = $116K
– Entitlements gained: HPAS (~$11K) + QLD FHOG ($15K) + HomeBuilder Grant ($25K) = $51K
*Note: There is no DHOAS used here. Why?
Because at the time our plan told us that we needed the full panel of lenders that a mortgage broker can provide, not be restricted to one or two DHOAS provider options only. Remember that we were all still learning to deal with Covid-19 lockdowns when this was all happening, so flexibility was a necessity!
– Settlement: 12 November 2020
– Construction start: 25 November 2020
– Handover date: 2 June 2021
– Bank valuation at completion: $610,000 ($56,000 growth in less than 12 months)
– Mortgage repayments: $382 per week in P&I repayments with a optimised blend of variable and fixed rates loans.
This client has now made a successful transition out of the ADF (CONGRATULATIONS!!) so they have 5 years from their discharge date to transfer across to a DHOAS loan. This refinance will all be facilitated by the Axon team or he will soon be able to use the equity in this property to go and buy property #2.
What do you think his next move will be – stay in this home and invest, or turn this into an investment property and move onto his next PPOR?